A healthy and beautiful smile is considered an important asset all over the world. To achieve one, American adults are spending nearly 3 billion USD per year on cosmetic dentistry and the figure is increasing every year.
If you also dream about the perfect smile, but you have severely decayed or cracked teeth, your Burien dental solution might be called dental crowns.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a type of dental restoration that completely caps or encircles a tooth or dental implant. Crowns are often needed when a large cavity threatens the ongoing health of a tooth. They are typically bonded to the tooth using a dental cement. Crowns can be made from many materials, which are usually fabricated using indirect methods. Crowns are often used to improve the strength or appearance of teeth.
Types of dental crowns
Depending on the material they are fabricated from, dental crowns are:
• Full Porcelain Crowns – Natural-looking crowns made of zirconium or aluminum-oxide.
• Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal Crowns – Also known as “full cast” crowns, these are made with metal alloys and porcelain is fused to the surface to create a natural-looking appearance.
• All-Metal Crowns – Made entirely out of alloys such as a gold alloy. These dental crowns tend to last the longest, but because of aesthetic reasons are usually used to restore back teeth.
Is dental crown the right solution for me?
You might be a candidate for a dental crown, if you have:
• A severely decayed tooth
• A cracked tooth or teeth
• Misshapen tooth
• Badly discolored or stained tooth
• Teeth that need an implant or a dental bridge
How can I benefit from dental crowns?
Some of the top benefits of dental crowns include:
• Protection against tooth decay
• Restoring your ability to speak and chew properly
• Look and feel natural
• Long lasting solutions with great durability
• Better looking smile
• Better self-confidence
If you would like to know whether dental crowns are the right solution for you, you should contact a proven dental specialist, like Dr. Lee from Burien Dental Care. Dr. Lee will offer you a thorough examination and help you chose the best solution for your specific needs.
Interesting to know
Did you know that the first dental crowns were created by Etruscans, 700 B.C.? As you can imagine, they were made from gold only.
The first porcelain dental crowns started being used in the mid-1800s and today are the most common type of dental crowns, also recommended from Burien Dental Care, due to their great functional and aesthetical benefits.